If there ever comes a day when we can't be together keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever. -- Winnie the Pooh



Daniel, Sherry, Jonathon, Jacob, Seth and Abigail




“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.” Winnie the Pooh







Friday, September 12, 2008

gar~YICK!

I made homemade spaghetti sauce last night and I really enjoy making it partly because we love it and partly because I love the smell of it in the house! I remember when my MIL first signed me up for "Taste of Home" I was like Betty Crocker on Red Bull! I decided I would make the spag. sauce. I knew absolutely nothing about fresh garlic so when I went to the store I picked up a box with 2 bulbs in it. I asked the man in produce if that was a clove or a bulb and he looked at me like I was stupid and informed me that it was a clove so I had 2 cloves. Cool, that meant I could have enough garlic for 2 dishes because my sauce only called for 1 clove. I made that sauce for quite a while. Then I decided to try garlic chicken and biscuits~that recipe called for 3 cloves so I bought 2 boxes and had a leftover clove for spaghetti! A couple days after I made the chicken I was at the neighbors and she asked what I had fed the boys because she said it smelled like they had been eating plain garlic. No, I told her they hadn't and in fact had not had anything containing garlic for a couple days. Really? Wow! I told her that it only had 3 cloves in it. She was quite surprised that I could buy 1 or 2 cloves at a time. I said, yes, all I did was bash open the cloves and take out the bulbs. She began to laugh hyserically and informed me of the correct way of using garlic! I was so mad because I was left to wonder if that guy was as stupid as I was or if he had told me wrong to be a jerk. I suppose my 3 bulbs would explain the burning of our eyes when I had the chicken. I have learned alot since then about the whole cooking thing and I never give advice that I have not tested!

5 comments:

Karen Walden said...

That's hilarous, but sounds like something I would do. I have never used fresh garlic!

Sherry said...

YUM! Fresh garlic is wonderful!

tacomom said...

So for those of us who don't cook, can you tell us the difference? Because I'm clueless! I even have a garlic press...brand new from Pampered Chef still in the box, never been used.

Sherry said...

The bulb is the whole thing. The clove is the small pieces inside. If it calls for 2 cloves put 2 of them in the press. I have heard that presses are real nice. I buy garlic in a jar now so I have never bought one.

tacomom said...

That's how I usually buy mine...in a jar. Thanks for explaining :) I only have a kitchen b/c it came with my house :) Okay, maybe I have a kitchen so I can BAKE but that's all!